- My most preferred time for writing is in the wee hours. But, once the story starts flowing, I write whenever I can. And, I go back to my manuscript.
- Before starting to write, I like to have a cup of tea. But, I really detest the idea of making it myself. The place where I write best is my ‘writing room’ at home. But, I write in other places as well. Hotel rooms, office cubicles… any place I can be alone.
- I am currently working on a novel and the progress is frightfully slow. But my average word count, when I was working on my previous book, was about 2000 per day.
- I read fiction while I write. But when I am writing I am a slow reader and don’t read more than five pages a day.
- Regardless of whether I am working on a book, or otherwise, I eat the same south Indian breakfast every day. I usually skip lunch on weekdays.
- I don’t listen to music while I write. I completely shut the world out. I even close the curtains before I sit down to write.
- A walk in the park always helps me clear up my mind.
Anees Salim’s Vanity Bagh won The Hindu Prize for Best Fiction 2013