- My most preferred time for writing is in the wee hours. But, once the story starts flowing, I write whenever I can. And, I go back to my manuscript.
- Before starting to write, I like to have a cup of tea. But, I really detest the idea of making it myself. The place where I write best is my ‘writing room’ at home. But, I write in other places as well. Hotel rooms, office cubicles… any place I can be alone.
- I am currently working on a novel and the progress is frightfully slow. But my average word count, when I was working on my previous book, was about 2000 per day.
- I read fiction while I write. But when I am writing I am a slow reader and don’t read more than five pages a day.
- Regardless of whether I am working on a book, or otherwise, I eat the same south Indian breakfast every day. I usually skip lunch on weekdays.
- I don’t listen to music while I write. I completely shut the world out. I even close the curtains before I sit down to write.
- A walk in the park always helps me clear up my mind.
Anees Salim’s Vanity Bagh won The Hindu Prize for Best Fiction 2013
MW on Instagram
Something is wrong. Response takes too long or there is JS error. Press Ctrl+Shift+J or Cmd+Shift+J on a Mac.