Much like his role in Badlapur, it was high time that Varun Dhawan grew up. After his last two films, everybody was getting bored of his Prince Charming act. Sriram Raghavan’s revenge thriller comes at a time when Dhawan desperately needed to steer clear of the traps of Bollywood stereotyping.
Dhawan has been openly talking about how difficult it was to play a troubled and older character as compared to his last films, where all he needed to do was sing and dance and charm the ladies. He says, “It was difficult, I was lost, I didn’t know which way to go, but Sriram helped me graph this character…” “He speaks a lot through silences and with his eyes in this film,” says Raghavan. Playing a cold-blooded murderer must have been difficult for Dhawan, more so, because he is pitted against actor par excellence, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, in the film.
Here are some tit-bits about the youngest Dhawan and why he is carved out for the long run:
– For starters, he can pull off a beard. So, growing up (and growing old) is going to look darn good on him. In Badlapur, he has a badass scruff which he pulls off really well. Also, much has been spoken about his ripped body but what we love more is that intricate tribal tattoo on his chest and arms a la Dwayne Johnson. Definitely the best tat in the industry today.
– In Badlapur, Dhawan is seducing four women – Huma Qureshi, Radhika Apte, Divya Dutta and Yami Gautam. That’s two more than the number of women he had to charm in Main Tera Hero. Is he biting off more than he can chew? Wait till the film releases to decide that. Also, sorry ladies, the guy’s taken. Did you know he has an on-and-off girlfriend, Natasha Dalal?
– Director Sriram Raghavan is known to turn Bollywood’s poster boys into bad boys. After Saif Ali Khan with Ek Haseena Thi and Neil Nitin Mukesh with Johnny Gaddar, Varun Dhawan seemed like the perfect fit for his next project.
– Every actor needs a serious role to prove their acting chops. After Alia’s Highway, and Siddharth’s Ek Villain, it was time for the
third Student of the Year to flaunt his mettle.
Latest posts by MW Staff (see all)
- Jaeger LeCoultre: Masters of personalisation - November 21, 2017
- This one trend is ruling the runway everywhere - November 21, 2017
- The modern businessman’s guide to dressing for work - November 21, 2017