Sandeep Gonsalves’ Rules of Style
Sandeep Gonsalves is the Head Designer and Co-founder of SS Homme along with his wife, Sarah Sheikh. Their clothing brand, SS Homme, offers complete bespoke services for menswear. Let’s take a look at what inspires him and how style is an important element of his personality.
- Fashion is generic, it indicates ephemeral trends. Style traces its genesis to the personality of an individual.
- Keep it clean, crisp and classic. I tend to pick sharp cuts and structured silhouettes that retain the charm of bespoke clothing. My lightweight, tropical, worsted wool jacket with a wide peak lapel is among my favourites.
- You don’t need to be a brand junkie, but always look for the best quality in everything you own.
- Opt for a well-fitted suit that works for your body type.
- Invest in a bespoke navy suit. It’s versatile and works well at work and as eveningwear.
- Include a classic well-fitted white shirt, a bespoke suit, Oxfords in tan leather and a matching belt in your basic wardrobe essentials.
- Accessorise well. The seemingly insignificant lapel pin can make a lot of difference.
- Match the belt and shoe colour when you are wearing a suit.
- Always wear a Mandarin collared shirt with bandhgalas and sherwanis.
- Always match your socks with your trousers for formal occasions. This is a fairly simple rule, but can be easily overlooked.
- Dress for the occasion. For a formal do, opt for a tuxedo, suit or a bandhgala. While dressing down, look at a pair of chinos and a well-fitted shirt. Add a leather bag or satchel. A dark suit works best on a date; it’s worth the effort and will also make you more confident. Also look at a dark-hued open blazer.
- While I prefer the classic look, experiment if you think you can carry off that experiment without looking awkward. Dye your hair a fiery ombre shade. Wear a double-breasted trench coat on a regular day to signify your edgy style.
- I think Indian men can start by paying more attention to the fit and the quality of the fabric. Oftentimes, the shoulders may not fit well, or the suit forms deep creases when it is buttoned up. Both are signs of an ill-fitted suit. Custom suits are more sympathetic to your body type, as they are made to fit your individual frame.
- I consider yesteryear style icon Cary Grant as among the best dressed men; he was suave and had the knack for dressing perfected to the T. Among the younger stars, I would also like to mention Farhan Akhtar and Rahul Khanna among the best dressed men in India today.
- Seek inspiration from the world of music, food, travel and dance. The more you push your boundaries, the more eclectic your dressing wardrobe.