Here’s a list of laws that are extremely absurd and if these laws were applied in India, most of us would already be convicts!
- In Denmark, parents have to pick a name for their baby from a list that is pre-approved with over 20,000 female and 16,000 male names. If you still wish to be creative, you need to apply for an unauthorized first name to be approved.
- One cannot flush the toilet in an apartment building in Switzerland post 10 PM as it is considered as noise pollution.
- In Oklahoma, you can be jailed for making an ugly face at a dog.
- It is illegal to chew gum in Singapore which makes sense when it comes to maintaining cleanliness. This rule has been in existence since 1922.
- In Samoa, it is illegal to forget your wife’s birthday.
- In Utah, USA, you can marry your cousin only if both of you are over the age of 65.
- An 1892 law in Mexico prohibits bicycle riders from lifting their feet off the pedal. It also allows the police to arrest anyone who whistles at or disturbs the bicyclists as it could lead to accidents.
- You can be fined for winking at a woman in Ottumwa, Iowa.
- In Florida, it is illegal for a divorced or a widowed woman to skydive on a Sunday afternoon.
- Wearing heels at Greece’s historic places is illegal because they can destroy the monument.
- In Russia, it is illegal to drive a dirty car. Drivers caught with a motor that doesn’t look pristine can land a $38 on the spot fine.
- To preserve the sanctity of the Jewish Sabbath, picking one’s nose during that time is illegal in Israel. If a Jew picks his nose he can accidentally pull out his nostril hair, which is as same as shaving or hair cutting and both the acts prohibited during that time.
- In Turin, Italy, dog owners must take their dogs on a walk at least three times a day.
- In Honolulu, Hawaii it is illegal to sing loudly after sunset.
- In 2008, Japan passed “Metabo Law” to keep its citizens’ weights in check. According to this law, companies and local governments must annually measure the waistlines of Japanese workers and citizens who are between 40 and 74 years old. The waistline limit for men is 33.5 inches and for women, it is 35.4 inches. Dieting guidance and re-education is given to those who fail to measure up.
- Chinese monks who wish to come back from the dead have to get the state’s approval of their reincarnation. This approval is supposedly needed so that national union and solidarity of the diverse ethnic groups in the country can be safeguarded as well as to cut down on fraudulent, profiteering monks.
- In the U.K., it is illegal for a person to hold salmon under “suspicious circumstances.”
- In England, it is prohibited to shake or beat a carpet in the street. However, it is perfectly legal to shake a doormat — before 8 a.m.
- The city of Rome voted to ban round fishbowls. According to their sources, these bowls make fish go blind and fail to provide enough oxygen.
- Noisy shoes such as wooden-soled sandals (and some even say flip-flops) are prohibited on the island of Capri, Italy. It is also forbidden to dress immodestly.
While these laws are strange yet somehow focus of the betterment of the respective countries, it is almost funny how India wouldn’t even consider Marital Rape as a criminal offence so is the joke on us in the end?