Netflix has rejected a call from the UK culture minister to add ‘health warnings’ at the start of episodes of its hit series “The Crown” to make clear that it is a work of fiction, a number of British media outlets reported on Sunday.

Last week, the streaming platform was urged by UK’s Culture Minister Oliver Dowden to add ‘health warning’ before the beginning of The Crown so the viewers are aware that the historical drama is a work of fiction. At present viewers are warned that the show contains nudity, sex, violence and suicide references, and is suitable for viewers who are 15 and older.

The government source said Dowden had written to the platform saying ““It’s a beautifully produced work of fiction, so as with other TV productions, Netflix should be very clear at the beginning it is just that … Without this, I fear a generation of viewers who did not live through these events may mistake fiction for fact.”

Now, Netflix has finally given a comment relating to the addition of health warning. The company said:  “We have always presented ‘The Crown’ as a drama – and we have every confidence our members understand it’s a work of fiction that’s broadly based on historical events. As a result, we have no plans – and see no need – to add a disclaimer.”

Also Read: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Want The Crown To End Before It Gets To Them 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by The Crown (@thecrownnetflix)

With the release of the series’ season 4, it has attracted criticism from some commentators over scenes suggesting that the late Princess Diana was treated coldly, even cruelly, by senior royals. Columnist Simon Jenkins of the Guardian newspaper accused the fourth season of having “upped the fabrication and the offence”, as reported by Reuters. 

Also Read: UK Government Wants Netflix To Add ‘Health Warning’ That The Crown Is Fictional