Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan turned 76 this year and shows no sign of slowing down. The veteran actor, known for his unbelievably long career, has delivered multiple hits throughout his career. French Director François Truffaut had once called him a “one-man industry” because of his overwhelming control and presence in the 70s and 80s.
Bachchan is also the recipient of the Padma Shri, the Padma Bhushan and the Padma Vibhushan besides also having received France’s highest civilian honour – Knight of the Legion of Honour.
Now, while it would look like we know everything about this man, here are 5 things that you may have missed:
- Bachchan is known for his legendary voice. While filmmakers always approach the actor and request him to lend his baritone to their trailers and films, he was rejected from All India Radio long ago!
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan, Amitabh Bachchan’s father wanted to name him Inquilab – the Urdu word for ‘revolution’.
- Bachchan is also ambidextrous which means that he can write as well with his left hand as he can with his right.
- Today, fans throng his bungalows but there was a time when the actor had to sleep on a bench in Marine Drive. Don’t lose hope, folks.
- Before his massive hit Zanjeer, Bachchan has delivered 12 flops. He never gave up, however, and that’s made all the difference.