Making A Style Statement
Akshay Kumar thinks some things look better with age
– I have a serious shoes fetish – I own over 200 pairs. Every man should have a shoe wardrobe. I have loafers, formals in shades of black and brown, fun silver pairs, brogues and a tan ankle length boot. Once, I bought a beautiful brown brogue, handcrafted by a shoemaker in Milan. I wear it with my denims.
– Look out for shoemakers who handcraft shoes when in Milan or London. They are excelled artists.
– My favourite look is classic indigo blue denim paired with a white shirt and tan boots. Or beige pants, a white shirt and boat shoes.
– Classic combinations work best. I am a man of classics when my clothes are concerned – I own jackets in greys and blacks; denims; shirts in solid monotones; a tuxedo or two, and few printed shirts.
– If you are fit, you will look good in anything. So make the highest investment in fitness.
– My wife, Twinkle, has had the biggest influence on my style. I have learnt to pare down my look and combine my clothes with right accessories-watches, shoes and scarves-from her.
– My first rule for buying clothing is to check the fittings. Most men don’t pay much attention to how clothes, particularly jackets, fit them.
– Don’t dye your beard. It looks like you are desperate to hide your age.
– For a formal occasion or a business meeting, wear only black or brown leather shoes.
– Iron the collar of a shirt before wearing it. Creased collars make you look like you don’t care about your look.
– Cashmere socks are the best investment you can make.
– Some things look better with age. But not white shirts.